drinking the green kool-aid

Green kool-aid is how I like to describe the cult-like experience of raw food, or really any crazy diet. People always seem half-fascinated and half-horrified by my commitment to cleaning my colon, so I thought I'd share my experiences in excruciating detail. As with any train wreck, it's hard to look away. Nonetheless, I've managed to pick up some comrades along the way, as a result of my dear friends' curiosity and solidarity. Others interested in drinking the green kool-aid, holla.

Friday, November 11, 2011

War on sugar.

Today was a mixed bag. Take a look:

--peanut butter with flax and 3 walnuts
--radishes and hummus
--spagetti squash, tomato sauce, turkey meatball
--two (generous) spoonfuls of whipped cream
--salad with lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, chicken, lemon juice and olive oil
--sugar busters friendly muffins: whole grain mix (millet, oatmeal, flax), carrots, cocoa, agave, veg oil
--1 amazing cookie sandwich: pecan shortbread and raspberry jam (HOLY SHIT)
--3 steamed asian buns, 2 pork, 1 mushroom

It was my co-worker's birthday and we got a delicious looking peanut butter chocolate pie. I can't believe I didn't eat any! Instead, I had a little bit of (pretty much unsweetened) whipped cream from the top. It was so good but plenty for me and satisfied my craving. Can't believe it!

Then, I got home. We were lucky enough to be having an underground food event in my building. BUT the bad news was that most of the vendors were of the sweet variety. Luckily, I ate a really healthy dinner, so I was ready to splurge a little. I picked one sweet and went for it. It was a small make-you-own sandwich cookie. I asked which option was least sweet and the pecan shortbread was a great choice. Even the raspberry preserves were low sugar. I mean, it was definitely more sugar than I should have had, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. I wanted to try a savory too, so I had the buns trio. It was too carb intensive and super good. I feel comfortable with my decisions.

I also tried my hand at some sugar busters friendly baking. I saw a great recipe on a blog for choco-carrot muffins. They were wheat free (she used buckwheat, but I subbed my famous wheat free, whole grain mix), dairy free (save for eggs), and sugar free. The recipe called for honey, but I subbed about a third as much agave. They definitely could have been sweeter but next time I 'll just use the same amount of agave and add a packet of stevia to compensate. I'll also probably decrease the oil a bit because they were a little greasy for my tastes. Still, delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home